Georgetown PTA Newsletter “Blink”
PTA Blink …
Thank you to everyone who came to the Penn Brook Holiday Fair and participated in the PTA cookie walk! AND to everyone who baked those scrumptious creations! Thank you so much to everyone for supporting the PTA!
Addiction-Awareness play: Four Legs to Stand On – The PTA is sorry to announce that due to low response, we decided to postpone this play. Stay tuned for more details.
November is Box Tops Month!
November is here, and guess what – it’s time for a box tops challenge!! This month, when you send in those box tops – the ones with the logo “Box Tops for Education” – they could add up to an ice cream partay! (Start with frozen vegetables and baggies and end up with ice cream – that’s my kind of new math.) The class that collects the most by the end of the month wins an ice cream party! PLUS: Penn Brook gets ten cents for each box top we turn in, and that adds up FAST.
For more information, including a list of what products carry the logo, click here: http://www.gssapp.org/GeorgetownPublicSchools/pennbrook/box-tops-for-education/
Book Fair: November 2 – 9
The book fair is under way! And the Penn Brook library is officially now an enchanted forest. Don’t miss out! Join us for an evening shopping on Wednesday, November 7, starting at 5:30.
MUSIC PARENTS AUCTION – November 16
The Music Parents Auction is happening November 16, 2018. Buy your ticket today. https://squareup.com/store/disney2019/item/auction
This year’s live and silent auction items include: ski tickets, certificates, baskets, golf items, lottery raffles, mystery meals, adventure packages, spa experiences, and a surprise mystery box raffle, that will be revealed that night! PLUS: a GHS Parking spot raffle, and tickets to this year’s musical Seussical!!
Florida or NH Raffle! Or Both! Georgetown Music Parents are sponsoring a raffle to win a weeklong stays in Florida and White Mountains, NH Tickets for both are $100.00 per ticket.
Vacation in White Mountains, New Hampshire: Enter for a weeklong stay in a luxury White Mountain Chalet, that sleeps 18 comfortably! Close to lots of outdoor adventure.
Vacation in Florida: Enter to stay in a 5 bedroom luxury home on a beautiful golf course, complete with pool and game room. Close to Disney and Universal.
Penn Brook 2018-2019 Yearbook
Join the Yearbook Staff! We need volunteers to put classroom collage pages together for Kindergarten through 5th Grade. Finished product is due in March 2019.
Jostens Yearbooks is our web-based program, very user friendly, and it can all be done from your home computer. Training will take place in January 2019. If you are interested in joining the 2018-2019 Yearbook Staff, please contact Jen Morrissey at email@example.com. Thank you!
Five Fun Facts about … Fall!
- Fall Is caused by the Earth’s tilt, not our distance from the sun. When the northern hemisphere tilts towards the sun, we get warmer. When it tilts away, we get colder. Fall and spring are the times of transition.
- Weight gain around this time of year may not be from all the food. Researchers have found that lack of vitamin D reduces fat breakdown and triggers fat storage. So, the lack of sunlight has more to do with the extra gain than all the pumpkin spice lattes. Well, at least some of it.
- Pumpkin spice has nothing to do with pumpkins. Pumpkin spice is actually the spice mix used for pumpkin pies. It is made from 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves. You can make it at home or buy it pre-mixed at the grocery store.
- Fall colors are caused by the amount of sugar in leaves. The more red in the leaf, the more sugar that leaf is storing. That is why Maple trees are so vibrant. Evergreens don’t change because their leaves have a thick wax covering that protects the chlorophyl (green) in the leaves.
- Birds spend most of the fall migrating. Whether traveling from one state to another, from North America to South America (Swainson’s Hawk, 14,000 miles), or from the North Pole to the South Pole (Arctic Tern, 44,000 miles), many birds spend this season traveling to mating grounds or finding food.
Thanks, One Country! https://www.onecountry.com/entertainment/10-fun-fall-facts/
Spiced honey cakes with apple cider syrup. https://www.davidlebovitz.com/spice-catalan-honey-rye-cakes-cake-recipe/
Savory vegetarian pumpkin pot pie http://joythebaker.com/2018/11/vegetarian-pumpkin-pot-pie/
We are a group of busy parents that want to help the Georgetown, MA schools. We create—and fund—learning experiences your kids love…and make lasting impressions. And we have a lot of fun along the way.
Keep in touch!